If you dream of soft, smooth skin that’s free of fine lines, acne, and age…
Are you tired of dealing with frown lines, wrinkles, and aging signs? If you’ve looked into turning back the clock and are wondering what the difference between Botox and dermal fillers is, you’ve come to the right place.
While many consider these two cosmetic treatments to be similar, they couldn’t be more different in the way they slow down the aging process and restore a more youthful appearance.
To help you determine which is right for you, take a look at our Botox vs. dermal fillers guide below, breaking down how each treatment works, their benefits, when to choose one over the other, and so much more.
Botox vs. Dermal Fillers: What’s the Difference and Which is Best for You?
No doubt, the line between Botox and dermal fillers is like a fine wrinkle; sometimes hard to distinguish but most definitely there. While both are used to treat age signs, such as wrinkles and frown lines, Botox and fillers work very differently to achieve the same goal.
What is Botox, and how does it work?
Botox is the brand name of a specific botulinum neurotoxin used to correct wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging. Botox is injected into the muscles and works by controlling facial movement. More specifically, it blocks signals from the brain which instruct the facial muscles to contract, blocking contractions and allowing wrinkles, lines, and creases to relax and disappear.
Additionally, Botox can be used to relax muscles that pull down on the face, such as in the neck muscles, to give a lifting effect. Aside from aesthetic and cosmetic treatments, it has also been used to treat medical conditions. For example, injections in the armpits help with hyperhidrosis (excess sweating), and injections in the jaw muscle can be used to prevent teeth grinding caused by TMJ.
What are the benefits of Botox?
There are several benefits to getting Botox, especially when it comes to diminishing the appearance of age signs. Take a look at this short list of incredible Botox benefits:
- The procedure is non-surgical, meaning there are no incisions, scarring, stitches, or surgery involved.
- Smoother skin and reduced wrinkles due to its muscle paralyzing and relaxation effect.
- Botox can enhance the look of eyebrows, making the face and facial expressions appear more youthful and revitalized.
- The entire procedure usually takes less than an hour and there’s no recovery time, meaning a Botox treatment can be done over a lunch break.
- It’s sometimes more affordable than dermal fillers, making it a great option for those on a budget.
- Botox may have long-lasting, anti-aging effects due to its little-known ability to improve skin elasticity.
How long does Botox last?
The Botox procedure takes around 30 to 45 minutes and the temporary effects typically last between 3-6 months, depending on the individual. Follow up treatments are required to maintain results.
What are dermal fillers, and how do they work?
Dermal fillers are a group of injectable medical products designed to restore fullness to areas where the skin has lost volume. There are many different types of fillers, such as hyaluronic acid fillers (the most common type), collagen-stimulating fillers (such as sculptra) and permanent fillers (such as silicone, which is not commonly found or advocated by experienced dermatologists).
Dermal fillers work by “filling out” fine lines, wrinkles, and other parts of the face where a patient wants to add structure or volume, such as the cheeks, brows, and lips. Additionally, dermatologists can also use dermal fillers to reduce the look of acne scars and other scarring.
What are the benefits of dermal fillers?
There are so many benefits to using dermal fillers for a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance! Some of the most common dermal filler benefits are:
- One of the top reasons people choose dermal fillers to enhance their appearance is because of their fast results. Right after injections, you will start to see improvement!
- Dermal filler treatments are quick (easily done over a lunch break), and there is no recovery time, unlike other more invasive cosmetic surgeries or other procedures.
- Most patients experience results that last from six months to two years!
- The results of dermal fillers are very subtle and natural-looking for a beautifully enhanced appearance.
- This type of treatment actually improves the look and feel of your skin, as many dermal fillers use hyaluronic acid or a collagen-based substance, which adds hydration and restores vibrancy.
How long do dermal fillers last?
Dermal fillers will last anywhere between 6 and 18 months. This will depend on the type of substance used, as well as how the individual patient responds to the treatment. Your board-certified dermatologist or practitioner should be able to advise you on what dermal filler will work best for you and your aesthetic goals!
Which is best for you – Botox or dermal fillers?
When debating which anti-aging treatment is best for you, the decision is mainly dictated by your specific aesthetic goals. For instance, if you are interested in erasing crow’s feet and frown lines, Botox is best, as it better treats and smooths out deep lines and wrinkles.
On the other hand, dermal fillers are great for those who want to enhance their brows, fill out their lips, or add volume to their cheekbones.
Fortunately, you don’t have to make this decision on your own! It’s best to visit a board-certified dermatologist or practitioner experienced in cosmetic services for a consultation. This is where you’re going to get professional advice on how to achieve your best skin with either Botox or dermal fillers!
Visit Brentwood Dermatology for elevated anti-aging treatments
Botox and dermal fillers are just one of many steps that you can take to restore a youthful appearance! No matter your goals or your struggles, the experts at Brentwood Dermatology can help you achieve the best skin of your life. Get in touch to schedule your cosmetic consultation today!
The trusted physicians at Brentwood Dermatology can assist you with all of your general, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology needs. If you would like to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment, visit our website or give us a call at (615) 377-3448.