Acne can be frustrating, but our board-certified dermatologist, Ellen Jacobson, MD and her team are here to help.
There are many factors that can contribute to acne and so no two treatments may ever work the same for two people. We know that trying to tackle your acne symptoms on your own can be frustrating, so it’s important to know how Dermatologist Ellen Jacobson, MD in Nashville, TN can work with you to find the right acne treatment for clearer skin.
First and foremost, it’s important to know that any acne treatment takes time to be effective. Most acne treatment options and medications take 2-3 months to see the full effect. The way we treat your acne will depend on the cause.
Treatment options include:
- Topical or oral antibiotics, such as doxycycline (kills acne-causing bacteria)
- Topical Benzoyl Peroxide products and washes (kills acne-causing bacteria and dries out oily skin)
- Topical retinoids, such as Retin-A (helps unclog pores/decreases black and whiteheads)
- Oral Isotretinoin, such as Accutane (used for severe cystic acne or resistant inflammatory acne)
- Laser therapy (kills acne-causing bacteria)
- Chemical peels
- Light therapy
- Medical -grade skincare products
Of course, there are also habits you can adopt every day to reduce acne breakouts while also handling acne when it appears. These habits include:
- A good daily skin care regimen
- Moisturizing daily
- Wearing SPF during the day
- Staying hydrated
- Getting good, quality sleep
- Changing your pillowcase weekly
- Eating a healthy balanced diet
Here at SkinMD in Nashville, TN we believe that everyone should feel confident in their skin. If acne is affecting your appearance and your self-esteem, then it might be time to give us a call. We would love to sit down with you and map out an effective treatment plan to get you one step closer to clearer skin!