Dedicated to Excellence in Patient Care & Education.
Everyone loses hair. It is normal to lose about 50-100 hairs every day. If you see bald patches or lots of thinning, you may be experiencing hair loss. There are many causes of hair loss. Women may notice hair loss after giving birth. People under a lot of stress can see noticeable hair loss. Some diseases and medical treatments can cause hair loss.
The most common cause of hair loss is a medical condition called hereditary hair loss. About 80 million men and women in the United States have this type of hair loss. Other types of hair loss include: Male-pattern baldness, Female-pattern baldness, Androgenetic alopecia.
Spironolactone can be prescribed for androgenic alopecia in women. This is a type of hair loss that’s associated with the overproduction of male sex hormones. Spironolactone slows down the production of androgens. These are male sex hormones, including testosterone. Reduced production of androgens can slow down the progression of hair loss caused by androgenic alopecia. It can also encourage hair to regrow.
Finasteride (Proscar and Propecia) was originally developed to treat enlarged prostate glands. Propecia is the first drug in history to effectively treat male pattern baldness in the majority of men who use it. Finasteride’s hair-raising success is due to its ability to specifically inhibit 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone into a more potent androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It is DHT that shrinks or miniaturizes the hair follicle, which eventually leads to baldness.
Rogaine with Minoxidil (over the counter) revives and increases the size of hair follicles and extends your hair’s natural growth cycle so you can regrow thicker, fuller hair. Help maintain a healthy, conditioned scalp, creating the optimal environment to regrow your hair. Promotes natural skin exfoliation to help keep your hair follicles open and your scalp primed for treatment.
Platelet activation plays a key role in the body’s natural healing process. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy uses injections of a concentration of a patient’s own platelets to accelerate the healing.
- PRP injections are prepared by taking a few tubes of your own blood and running it through a centrifuge to concentrate the platelets.
- Activated platelets are then injected directly into your tissue.
- Growth factors are released that stimulate and increase the number of reparative cells your body produces.
- SkinMD utilizes the Selphyl collection system for their PRP.
- SkinMD uses PRP for Hair Restoration and in conjunction with Microneedling.
- The Collagen P.I.N. Microneedling system is the perfect treatment for fine lines and wrinkles, sun damage, brown pigmentation, acne scars, stretch marks, scars, and even hairloss.
- The hand-held, pen-like device induces a controlled injury into the skin which stimulates the production of growth factors, new collagen, elastin, and even hair.
- Depending on the degree of correction needed, 3-6 treatments are recommended, at monthly intervals.